A 4 Step Guide to Getting A Motorcycle Licence

Posted in Motorcycling Tips

You’ve decided that you want to get a motorcycle licence. What’s next? To drive a motorcycle, you will need an M Class licence - check out our steps you will need to take before getting on the road.

A 4 Step Guide to Getting A Motorcycle Licence, StreetRider Insurance, Ontario

Step 1: Contact your Insurance Broker

Plan ahead. Before you get your motorcycle license, or a bike, you should contact your insurance broker to obtain an insurance quote so that you can make sure the payments are affordable.  Contact a StreetRider Specialist to get a free, competitive quote for motorcycle insurance in Ontario.

Step 2: The M1 License

Before you can apply for a motorcycle licence in Ontario, you need to be at least 16 years old. To pass the M1 portion of the test, you will need to pass an eye test and a written test about the rules of the road and traffic signs. The test costs $17.50 to write. Study first! If you pass these tests, you will get an M1 licence and be considered a beginner rider. You will need to wait at least 60 days before you can take your first road test. The M1 licence is valid for 90 days, so make sure you schedule your road test before the license expires or you will have to start over.

Tip: Go to the DriveTest centre early in the morning to avoid long wait times.

Step 3: Take a Motorcycle Safety Course.

Taking a motorcycle training course has several benefits. Not only are you learning proper technique and gaining practice, but you can also benefit from insurance discounts. Once you successfully finish the course, you will get a referral envelop that you can bring to a DriveTest centre within six months. You will not have to take the M1 road test and you can take your M2 road test after 18 months, instead of 22 months.

Step 4: The M2 License

After taking a motorcycle safety course and 60 days have passed from the time you did your M1 written test, you will get an M2 licence. You will need to wait 18 months before you can schedule your second road test.

If you do not do a safety course, you will need to pass the M1 road test to get an M2 licence. You can schedule your second road test after 22 months. You must pass the second roast test to get a full M licence.

Click here for a motorcycle quote

Source: http://www.ontario.ca


Looking for Other Insurance Products?